What this service can include:

  • creating up-to-date Wills, Powers of Attorney, and Personal Directives
  • addressing guardianship and trusteeship concerns
  • directing Probate administration, trusts, and other estate

There are many benefits to having a Will: quicker resolution of your estate, lower costs, or mandating certain parameters around how your minor children get their portion of your estate. Having a properly drafted Will gives you peace of mind knowing your wishes will be followed after you die. And your assets – the things you’ve worked long and hard for – end up being distributed as you intended.

In conjunction with your Will, two important documents are also often created. An Enduring Power of Attorney is meant to control your financial and legal matters in circumstances when you no longer have the capacity to make decisions on your own. And a Personal Directive is meant to control decisions about your health and well-being. Both of these documents will be used when you need assistance to make decisions or when you no longer have the capacity to make decisions at all.

There are also orders that can be given by the court for guardianship and trusteeship. These are used in situations where an individual can no longer look after their personal health or financial matters and they require assistance.

More than simply having a Will, you can create a plan to maximize how – and how much – of your estate passes to your beneficiaries. We also explain what limits and exclusions you may want to include in your planning. You can read more about this on our Estate Planning page.

As well, estate planning may include setting up trusts in advance for spouses, children or grandchildren. Trusts may include options for family members with disabilities or those living on assistance to minimize the impact on their other, long-term benefits. Certain parameters can be created for children and grandchildren with conditions on the receipt of the money (such as levels of education or splitting the money over different years) if your children are still dependent on you.